Like us?

Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Hit and a Miss - Glam

Thursday I had the pleasure of meeting up with my friend S. She's is not much of a beer drinker but she totally understood the spirit of 365 and agreed to meet me at the Pioneer Square Saloon for a couple of after work beverages.

The Saloon, for those of you who've not been there, is semi-Jules Mae's-ian. It retains it's atmosphere of another era. It's also got a cetain Collins Bar quality that I enjoy as well. But, ultimately, it's the clientel that really makes the place. From shaggy to chic and in every color of the mental wellness rainbow, people come to the P Square Saloon to lean their elbows on the hundred year old bar and drink from the broad variety of beers.

When we first got there, I had a lovely pour from the Elysian tap, specifically the Zephyrus Pilsner. This is my third Elysian brew and dang if it wasn't a winner as well. Lovely, balanced flavor, held it's effervescence, and very tasty from first sip to last glug.

While I was enjoying the Zephyrus, my friend S was sipping a glass of water. (She really, really isn't much of a beer drinker) but, when my pint jar became empty, she insisted on buying the next round. My friend Peter had raved about the Longboard here so I requested one of those. S returned to the table with two beers. The light, unmenacing Longboard for me and the bartender's recommendation for her. Her glass was filled with a deep reddish honey colored brew that appealing to the eye. It looked exactly like what a glass of beer should look like. Not knowing what to order, S trusted the bartender. Not knowing what she liked, he made the perfect selection. He poured her a Manny's. And she, a non beer drinker, finished it to the last drop.

Oh, and my Kona Longboard was a disappointment. It was unremarkable, dull. It went flat right away and it tasted kinda weird - fruity in a bad way with a hint of sour feet. Peter will defend it to the end but I can't say as I recommend it.

Friday, it was pleasure as usual. A couple of Manny's at Jules Maes with some of my favorite people in the world. Had to cut it short though. Had a date with the Glamor Kid to go see 300 (Frank Miller, bitches!). If you haven't seen it, shut down your computer right now and go see it on the biggest screen in your town. Seriously. Read more here.

No comments: