Like us?

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

RRR 14-17: Canada brews

Hey all- I've been pretty lax in posting so I gotta cover a bit of ground here. I just got back in town from a long weekend in Toronto and even though the Canadian's family leans more towards wine than beer, we did manage to head out to this great brewpub in downtown Toronto called C'est What? They seemed to have some great brews on tap, and I would've liked to have tried more of them but his mom was there and I don't think getting sloshed with the folks would've been the best first impression. Recommended is the Hemp Ale if you get the chance. Apparently you can now buy this particular brew at beer stores all around Canada.


I also got to have a very tasty apricot wheat made by the brand St. Ambroise, brewed by the McAuslan Brewing Co. in Quebec.. In fact, I'd have to rate it as the best Apricot Wheat I've ever had. The fruit notes tasted like they just put the apricots in right there. We stopped at a beer store before heading back to the States and you can apparently purchase this brand there as well, for those of you living near the border. I myself picked up a sixer of Grasshopper, a wheat beer made by the Big Rock Brewery in Alberta that also makes Warthog brew. I've heard only good things about it, so looking forward to tearing into that sixer at one point.


I also spent some time at Otto's Pub with friends, since one of my buddies Evan is moving back to Cali soon. I'm running out of choices on the Otto's menu though. I had the Double D IPA, the Red Mo Ale, and the Mount Nittany Pale Ale. The Red Mo is the best of that bunch though. Sooo tasty. I'll miss not being able to repeat it for a while.

Anyhow, overall opinion is that Canada is full of good brew. For those of you living near the border, a trip across for some of these brands is totally worth it.

5 comments:

Gus said...

sounds good. I will have to try and get this on the list.

AlpineTrout said...

I hate Canada

Gus said...

ha ha.

the beer is like moonshine. I love canada. Molson Canadian was my beer of choice last time I visited. We went to a little town that ended up being EXACTLY like Longview, which would have been funny if it wasn't so sad. But the beer and food was good and it was a relaxing trip. Speaking of which, I think I will go there this summer. Canada doesn't suck.

AlpineTrout said...

It's an inside joke. I lived there until I was 17.

Emily:) said...

I figured the anti-Canadian sentiment could only come from a Canadian with a sense of humor. I loved it there and will probably be applying for jobs up north when I finally finish school (oh wait, that's never)