Like us?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

RRR 3- Otto's Apple Barrel brew

Last night, I tried a great Cider brew from an awesome (read: only) microbrewery in State College, Otto's Pub & Brewery. I'm always down with Otto's brew and went with my girls for "Really Cheap Pasta" night last night to celebrate Fat Tuesday and have some brew. Some people don't really consider cider beer to be beer, and I guess technically it's not, but if it's not a beer, what category would you put it into? It was also the first time I've tried a microbrew cider, as you don't typically think of microbrews making cider. But this one was pretty good. About 6% alcohol and not as sweet as Woodchuck or Cider Jack, but better and more tart, I thought. So what is your take on cider beer? Is it beer? Do you like it? Any recommendations? Cause that brew last night put me on a cider kick. Later:)

P.S. Gus, could you add this brewery too, pretty please?!:)


5 comments:

n8 b said...

Cider Beers = Beer in my book.
I know I'll probably end up drinking a few at the end of summer when my choices are slim.

Dicko said...

Is it brewed like a beer, yes! Count it. Now where did I put my Horsnby?

AlpineTrout said...

Just as mead is not wine, cider is not beer. Not that there's anything wrong with cider, but it doesn't have barley or hops in it.

n8 b said...

Whoa, check out the big brain on trout!

Gus said...

yeah, but malt liquor is "brewed" and some of that flavored shit we are including and calling it "beer."

I would like to vote for an exception for ciders to be included in our 365. And vote for any exceptions to be voted for, not just "..well if you are including that, then I am including this..."

I vote AYE, cause it makes me feel like a pirate.