Like us?

Friday, February 16, 2007

Day One - Glam & Dicko at Jules Maes

Anyone who's drunk with me knows I am a creature of singular habit. I like Jules Maes and I like Manny's Pale Ale. One of the reasons 365Beers is enticing to me is simply because I know I should discover the whole world of beer out there. I mean, what if I ended up in a bar that didn't serve Manny's? What would I do then?

So this in not only an endeavor of endurance for me. It is also a challenge of faith. Faith that there are other beers out there that I will enjoy as much as Manny's.

Tonight I found one. Skull Creek Light Lager. It was my first pint of the evening and it was lip smackalicious. Delicate and complex and, even though it calls itself light, it was really more medium. Dicko began the eving with a tried and true friend, a PBR.
.
We then moved on to a Diamond Knot Brown Ale (molassess-y and not very interesting) for me and a Hoegaarden Belgian White Ale for Dicko. Despite - or perhaps because of - the Hoegaarden being served in its own signature glass with a slice of orange no less, it could not escape being dubbed "horse semen ale" by Dicko. And he oughta know. I tasted the light fruity Ho for myself but it must be the exact spectral opposite of the burnt-sugar Diamond Knot. The clash of flavors on my pallet tasted like a blood feud in a stock yard - stupid and shitty.
Diamond Knot Brown Ale (foreground) and Horse Semen Ale with Orange Slice
.
Sometime during the second round, we came up with the prost of the evening: Here's to good sex with crazy bitches.
.

Shortly thereafter, Angel (the bartenderess) bestowed an almost full pitcher of Maritime Pacific Imperial IPA. I hate this beer. I always have. It tastes like the smell of cat piss. But, when it's free, it tastes a little better. Like the piss of purebred cats.

There was another prost after that. Something involving the comparison of a horse breeder's vagina sleeve to Dicko's wife. Which, I think was supposed to sound complimentary in Dicko's favor but actually kinda didn't. I'm sure you had to be there to appreciate the hilarity.

We ended the evening with Georgetown Brewing Co's Chopper Red Ale for Dicko and a Red Menace BIG Ale for me. Unfortch, I had eaten the Jules Mae's salmon burger and was so incredibly full I couldn't finish my Red Menace. Well, wouldn't you know, the whole purpose of employing the buddy system was utilized this very first night. Dicko wouldn't let me leave the table until I swallowed every last drop. What a pal. I would have wasted that hyper-hoppy red ale.

So okay, for me the stand alone beer of the evening was the Skull Creek Lager. If I were in a fine drinking establishment and there was no Manny's to be had, I would order a Skull Creek as a strong alternate.

And speaking of Alter Nates...Happy Birthday n8. May you sleep well tonight and wake up awash in the dew of your 30's.

3 comments:

Peter said...

This post reminds me of Jackass 2, with Chris Pontius.

Gus said...

dicko loves the man sauce.

n8 b said...

That Hoegaarden is some terrible stuff. I tried a bottle at the local Pizzaria (not Yuppy Pizza) and decided immediately that it was fucking terrible. Great choice Dicko.