Like us?

Monday, February 6, 2012

New Belgium's Cocoa Mole


Spicy sweet goodness
 I was in Seattle over the weekend visiting my girlfriend and we decided to go on a beer run.  The Top Foods near her house has an amazing selection of beers, so off to the beer aisle we went. 

A few weeks ago at Tops I stumbled across New Belgium's Grand Cru, which is another beer from the Lips of Faith series.  As I'm not really a fan of Belgian beers I was a little worried I would like it but this one was alright.  I could definitely taste the Saison yeast that was used in it but it wasn't as overpowering as some of the other Belgians I have tried.  When I heard about the Cocoa Mole it reminded me of Roots chocolate habanero stout that they had during winter and I knew that I had to try it.  Luckily the Grand Cru was all gone and had been replaced with the Cocoa Mole.

The first taste is very smooth with the chocolate flavor coming through.  As you swallow you notice the pepper flavor and a little, tiny bit of heat.  It's amazing how well the chocolate and peppers compliment each other.  I was a little concerned that at 10% ABV the alcohol taste would be overpowering but the chocolate and peppers cover it up completely.  If you have a chance to try this beer I highly suggest it.  I think I may have to grab a few more 22s of it before it's all gone. 

1 comment:

Gus said...

oooh, I want one.