Like us?

Monday, May 21, 2012

Tap House Grill

So many choices, so little time

This past weekend I was in Seattle visiting my girlfriend Barbara and she suggested that we check out the Tap House Grill in Bellevue.  She told me that they had 160 different beers on tap and that was all I needed to hear. 

We got there yesterday early in the afternoon and I just stared in amazement at the selection that they had.  I thought for a brief moment that I had died and gone to heaven.  The bartender asked me what I wanted to drink and I asked if they had any Pliny the Elder.  I've wanted to try Pliny again after first sampling it four or five years ago at Brewfest in Oregon.  My heart raced as the bartender told me that she thought they had some.  My heart sank as she pulled the tap and only foam came spitting out. 

Instead I decided to try the Left Hand Brewing Milk Stout that was on nitro.  I made a terrific choice.  It was such a nice, creamy stout that I almost didn't want to finish it.  I say almost because I had other good beers to sample.  The other stout I tried was Elysian's Split Shot Stout that is also a milk stout but it's brewed with espresso.  This was also a terrific beer.

Left Hand Milk Stout
After polishing off the stouts Barb and I decided to split a four beer sampler.  I picked two beers and she chose the other two.  For my first choice I went with Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale which is even more delicious on tap then it is out of a can.  My second choice was the Hoppy Bitch IPA from Trade Route Brewing.  Now I consider myself a bit of a hop-head and I was hoping for a super-hoppy IPA.  And honestly, I was left a little disappointed by the Hoppy Bitch.  Not quite hoppy enough for my tastes. 

Barbara went with Eel River Brewing's Double IPA and it was pretty good.  I was once again expecting a super hopped beer since it was a double IPA and I was left a little disappointed.  Her other choice was a Scotch Ale from a brewery whose name escapes me at the moment.  It was pretty good for a Scotch Ale but I've had better, like the Wee Heavy I enjoyed with Gus a few brew-sessions ago.

All in all it was a great time and I was almost overwhelmed by the sheer amount of selections.  I'll definitely be making a return trip in the future in search of the ever elusive Pliny.  If you are in the Seattle or Bellevue areas you should definitely check this place out.  And if by chance Pliny is back on tap enjoy one for me.  Cheers!

No comments: