Like us?

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Dogg Haus Brewing

Hello to both of our readers!  Thought I'd drop by to give you both an update on L-Town Brewing's recent developments.
 
About a month and a half ago I was sitting home on a Saturday morning and I was really wanting to brew some beers.  Unfortunately for me, Gus was at the beach with his family and all of our brewing gear was at his house.  Since he picked up the all grain system from the judge we haven't used the old extract brew kettle that we started on.  I asked him if I could borrow it to brew at my place and just like that the L-Town Dogg Haus Brewery was born.  Why Dogg Haus you ask?  Well if you've ever been to my house you know that my dogs, Barney and Lola, pretty much run the place.

So after picking up the brew kettle and some other various supplies I had my first brew day at the Dogg Haus.  The very first beer brewed was quite the experiment and I honestly have no idea how it's going to turn out.  I started with a basic porter recipe that was pretty light on the roasted malts.  It also has a very low hop presence.  Before the boil started I added some baker's chocolate and with fifteen minutes left in the boil I added a bunch of peanut butter.  And just like that our Peanut Butter Cup Porter was born. 

After I finished the Peanut Butter Cup Porter I started right away with batch number two.  Batch number two is a Scottish Ale that I added some smoked malt to.  I have had a couple of very good smokey ales lately and this should be right there with them.  In addition to the smokey flavor this beer should also have some oak and whiskey notes as it is currently aging in the whiskey barrel.  We will be bottling this one sometime in the next week or so and it should be fantastic.  If you can't already tell, I have very high hopes for this beer.  We decided to honor Kelso's Scottish heritage with the name and called this beer Highlander Smoked Scottish Ale.

So a week after brewing the Peanut Butter Cup Porter and Highlander Smoked Scottish Ale I wanted to brew again.  My lovely girlfriend was in town and we decided to jump onto Homebrew Talk to try to find a new and exciting recipe.  What caught her eye was an Apple Pie Ale.  The recipe uses a pale ale as a base and we added some vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks to the boil.  At flame out we dropped in some pure maple syrup.  This beer is currently sitting in secondary and will be kegged most likely tomorrow.  Before I transfer it into the keg I will be adding four ounces of apple extract.  We decided to name this one Grandma's Apple Pie Ale after my grandma's delicious home-made apple pies.

A few days after I brewed Grandma's Apple Pie Ale I decided to brew up a batch of hefeweizen for Mrs. G aka Gus's wife aka Abby.  The recipe I used wasn't the same as before but it should still be a tasty hefeweizen.  Since hefeweizens ferment so quickly this beer will actually be going into a keg tomorrow and be on tap at Gus's in about a week.  Hopefully Abby enjoys it.  Since she has been so understanding with our brewing addiction we're going to try to keep hefeweizen on tap at all times.

I was still itching to brew a week after finishing Abby's Hefeweizen so I decided to swing by the homebrew store and see if I could come up with something to brew.  After checking out the hop selection I decided to brew another batch of our CCWA NWPA.  This was the third beer we brewed and it was definitely the hit of the party when we had our first tasting.  I figured another batch of a beer that everybody loves wouldn't be a bad thing.  It's almost done fermenting and should be racked into secondary this weekend and dry-hopped a few days after that.

With all of the extract brews done we are finally going to break the all-grain rig out again this weekend.  I've got a session IPA recipe pretty much dialed in.  It's got four different types of hops and a pretty small grain bill.  It should finish up around 4% ABV with about 65 IBUs.  It will be delicious.  I'm just excited to brew all-grain again.  We'll be buying all of our supplies for the session IPA in bulk and have enough to brew four 10 gallon batches of this beer so we'll have a ton of bottles and a couple of kegs each. 

We also have some Barleywine and Imperial Kahlua Stout bottled and conditioned.  Gus and I will be tasting a couple of those tomorrow while we keg and bottle.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Gus said...

Nice to see you back. And awesome you are making so much beer.